Identity Theft Information

Protecting your identity in a digital world can be a challenge. The resources below can assist you in preventing the theft of your identity.

If you are or suspect that you are a victim of identity theft, we suggest that you:

Contact the law enforcement agency where you reside and file a report/complaint. Provide copies of any account statements, canceled checks, or other documentation that is pertinent to the investigation.

Contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) (1-877-IDTHEFT), (TTY: 1-866-653-4261) which acts as the nation’s clearinghouse for information related to identity theft crimes for assistance from trained counselors in resolving credit-related problems. A complaint can be filed online at A victim may also write to: Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580.

Cancel each credit and charge card and request new cards with new account numbers. Call the security or fraud department of each company where you know or believe accounts have been tampered with or opened fraudulently. Follow up in writing, and include copies (NOT originals) of supporting documents. It is important that you notify credit card companies and banks in writing. Send your letters by certified mail, return receipt requested, so that you can document what the company received and when. Keep a file with copies of your correspondence and enclosures.

Contact the fraud departments of the three major credit reporting agencies: By asking them to put a “fraud alert” on your account and add a victim’s statement requesting creditors to contact you before opening new accounts in your name. Also acquire copies of your credit report from each agency.

Equifax Experian Transunion

If bank accounts are involved, report the loss to each financial institution, cancel existing accounts, and open new ones with new account numbers. If deemed necessary, place stop payments on outstanding checks and contact creditors to explain.

If a driver’s license is involved, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles.

If social security numbers are involved, contact the Social Security Administration to determine the accuracy and integrity of your account.

Change door locks on house/apartment and vehicle(s) if there is any indication that keys have been copied or otherwise compromised.

When you open new accounts, use new Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) and passwords. Avoid using easily available information like your mother's maiden name, your birth date, the last four digits of your Social Security Number, your telephone number, or a series of consecutive numbers.

Additionally, the information below can be helpful in protecting yourself from identity theft.

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation - Cybersecurity Awareness Basics

Federal Trade Commission - Identity Theft Information

Internet Purchase/Exchange Location

Purchasing and selling items online individually or through social media sites has become increasingly popular, but may not be without worry. To reduce the likelihood of theft or fraud, and to provide an additional sense of safety and security, the Manchester Police Department can be utilized by the public as a safe location to meet.

The lobby and the public parking lot in front of the Manchester Police Department are available for limited use to the public as a location for these transactions. These areas are under video surveillance and are open to the public 24-hours a day.

General Internet transaction safety tips:

  • Insist to meet at a public place such as the Manchester Police Department, 239 Middle Tpke East, Manchester, CT 06040.
  • Don't go alone.
  • Trust your instincts.
  • Do not meet in a secluded area.
  • Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
  • Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
  • Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
  • If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
  • Tell a friend or family member about your intentions.
  • Take your cell phone with you.

In case of an emergency call 911.

Victim Services

What Should I Know About My Case?

In all cases you should stay in contact with the Manchester Police Department. Be sure to request from the responding officer the Case Incident number and always refer to it when you call.

In cases where there is no physical evidence and no information about possible suspects, the police may not be able to investigate further. However, any up to date information must be given to the police for a more thorough investigation.

Nationwide, only one out of every five crimes ever result in the arrest of a suspect. Even when an arrest has been made, less than 5% of the cases end up in a trial. You will not need to hire an attorney, and you probably will never have to testify in criminal court.

You do have certain rights as a victim of crime. You may be having problems after the crime has occurred dealing with the reality of the crime. This is very normal. Many people react to a crime in a variety of ways but most everyone finds it helpful to talk with someone else about what happened.

If you just have questions, are having problems, or just need to talk to someone about what happened to you or a family member, please call one of the resources listed on the bottom of this page.

What If They Come Back? What If I Am Threatened?

In family violence and child abuse cases, the offender may try to contact you or return to the home. Any threats that are made to you or your children should be reported to the police immediately and could result in a separate arrest.

Most victims and their families feel unsafe after they have been victimized. By working with helping professionals and the Court, you can take positive actions to safeguard you and your family from further harm.

Remember, whether you need to go to a safe shelter, obtain a Restraining Order, or just learn about the latest crime prevention tips, help is available.

It takes a while, but you will feel safe again. Recovering from a criminal act takes time and patience.

This Has Never Happened To Me Before. Where Do I Begin?

The first and most important step is to call the police. Talking about what happened may be difficult at first, and you may not understand why the officers have to ask so many hard questions. Try your best.

If you have been physically hurt in any way, make sure to get medical attention immediately.

You may even be eligible to have your medical bills paid for from a special compensation fund for victims in Connecticut. Save all your bills and receipts for any expenses you've had because of the crime. Keep them together and you have two years to decide if you want to file for compensation.

Call the Connecticut Judicial Branch’s Office of Victims Services at 1-800-822-8428. Ask for a claim form and ask about other services they may have to assist you.

You may be able to get financial assistance through your insurance, welfare, or by requesting restitution from the Court if your assailant is ever arrested. You also have the option to sue civilly anyone who causes you harm. Consult an attorney to discuss your civil court remedies.

Ask the police how to get your property back if it's recovered.

What Are My Rights As A Victim In Connecticut?

Depending on the type of crime committed against you, you have several rights under the law. However, they are subject to some provisions and are not Constitutionally guaranteed. New ones may be added each year or changed in some way. Be sure to ask to speak with a victim advocate who can explain your rights and how to exercise them. Ask about how you can get information about:

  • The status of the case.
  • The release from custody of the perpetrator.
  • Various court-related rights, including: making a statement concerning your loses, requesting restitution, accepting plea agreements to lesser charges, notification of pretrial accelerated rehabilitation applications, and making a statement to the judge at sentencing.

Where can I get help?

General Numbers

Manchester Police: (860) 645-5500

Office of Victims Services: 1-800-822-8428

Victim Advocate, State's Attorney Office: (860) 566-4787

Specialized Services

Sexual Assault Crisis Service (24 Hours): (860) 522-6666

Hartford Interval House (24 Hours): (860) 527-0550

Family Violence Victim Advocate: (860) 527-0550

Child Abuse/Neglect Hot Line (24 Hours): (800) 842-2288

CT Department of Children and Families: (860) 450-2000

Child Guidance Clinic: (860) 643-2101

Child and Family Services: (860) 643-2761

Bad Check Reporting

This information sheet is to assist you in understanding the guidelines for the handling of “Bad Checks” by the Manchester Police Department. This information is based upon the statutes of the State of Connecticut and the policies of Manchester Superior Court, G.A. 12, which may be subject to change.

General Information:

  1. The check must have been received in the Town of Manchester.
  2. No partial restitution can have been accepted from the issuer.
  3. The check must have been returned to you from the bank with “Account Closed”, “Insufficient Funds”, “No Account” or other similar notations. “Stop Payment” checks are generally civil, however they can be looked at on a case by case basis where fraud can be shown. “Refer to Maker” checks require additional information.
  4. For “no account” checks there is no dollar limit. For “Insufficient Funds” checks there is a $50.00 minimum per check for prosecution.
  5. You must be able to show how you identified the check writer, or the person must be personally known to you. Ask for proper identification. A Connecticut driver’s license is the best means of identification. Copy the nine-digit driver’s license number onto the front of the check. i.e.: “Connecticut Operator’s License #123456789”. Compare the photograph on the license with the person issuing the check. If the customer is personally known to you, be prepared to give a written statement identifying the person who issued the check.
  6. Make copies of this paperwork for your records.

You will need to do the following before filing a police complaint:

  1. Upon return of a check stamped “Insufficient Funds”, a certified letter with a return receipt request should be sent to the last known address of the check passer (this is usually the same address as on the check).
  2. The letter should demand repayment within ten (10) business days of receipt.
  3. Provide a copy of the front and back of the check.
  4. Provide documentation from your bank showing the check was returned and the reason.
  5. In the case of “No Account” or “Account Closed” checks, the procedure is the same except no certified letter is required, although is strongly suggested.
  6. If the check is for less than $2000.00 and over a year old, it is outside of the statute of limitations and is not prosecutable for criminal charges.
  7. If a partial payment has been accepted, this is not prosecutable and is a civil matter.
  8. Upon return of the unclaimed letter, or the signed receipt and expiration of the 10-day period, and payment has not been made, contact Detective Slate at or (860) 645-5543 to schedule an appointment to initiate a police case, and complete an ARREST WARRANT APPLICATION - BAD CHECK sworn affidavit.

At the time of the appointment, you must provide the following:

  1. Copy of the front and back of the original check, or bank copy.
  2. Copy of the certified letter sent.
  3. Certified mail and return receipt (green card returned by the post office).
  4. The actual certified mail, if returned unclaimed.
  5. Any other documentation, including the original transaction/receipt if available.
  6. Complete a sworn arrest warrant application for bad check.

Package Theft

***2019 UPDATE*** Please CLICK HERE for additional information on protecting yourself from package theft presented by Article includes facts and statistics on the severity and propensity of this crime, especially during the holiday season.

Package theft is a growing problem across the country, and we at the Manchester Police Department want to provide you with some information that will assist you in recovering your losses and help us in investigating these thefts.

If you suspect a package was stolen, the first thing you should do is check your purchase confirmation e-mail for any tracking information. Using the tracking number and shipping company information, check to see if the package was confirmed as delivered.

Next, check to make sure a well-intended neighbor did not remove the package from where it was delivered to prevent it from being taken or rained on.

If it appears that your package was stolen, contact the seller or retailer that sold you the item. You may be entitled to a refund or replacement item. Additionally, contact us at (860) 645-5500 to report the theft.

If a retailer or seller states that the shipping company is responsible for any claims of lost or stolen items, file a complaint with the appropriate company. Below are links to file a claim online, or you can contact the company via the customer service numbers provided.

FedEx - Start a claim - 1 (800) 463-3339

UPS - Start a claim - 1 (800) 742-5877

USPS - Start a claim - 1 (800) 275-8777

DHL - Start a claim - 1 (800) 225-5345

If you have any security cameras installed, please remember to provide us with any footage capturing the theft of the package.

FBI / Department of Homeland Security

Please use the following links to access various resources compiled here.

Federal Bureau of Investigations

Department of Homeland Security

See Something, Say Something

Prepare Your Family for an Emergency