Sports Hall of Fame Exhibit Opening Sept. 20, 2023
Published on September 18, 2023
The Manchester Sports Hall of Fame is proud to announce its 2023 inductee class.
An induction ceremony and dinner for the 2023 class will be held on Saturday, November 4 at 4:30PM with a social hour followed by dinner at 6:00PM at Georgina’s Restaurant in Bolton. Tickets are $75.00 and can be purchased at the Park Hill Joyce Flower Shop, located at 36 Oak Street, Manchester. For questions regarding ticket purchase, please call (860) 649-0791.
The Manchester Sports Hall of Fame (MSHOF) is a volunteer-based organization that focuses on recognizing the athletic achievements of past and present members of the Manchester community. The MSHOF commemorates an annual class of Manchester sports heroes, as well as offers a scholarship program to local high school scholar-athletes.
The 2023 Manchester Sports Hall of Fame inductee class includes:
Individual Achievement Award - Awarded in recognition of their athletic or coaching achievements:
● Richard Cormier: 1996 MHS graduate, All-State CT Champion and record-holder swimmer.
● Jack Maloney: 1975 MHS graduate, 3-sport letterman, football, basketball and baseball standout.
● Meghan McFee Balavender: 2007 ECHS graduate, All-State and MVP volleyball and basketball player.
● Mark Murphy: 1979 ECHS graduate, MVP basketball player at ECHS and Fordham University.
Legends Award - This award is being honored posthumously for life-long participation and support in Manchester sports:
● John F. Tierney: 1931 MHS graduate
Founders Award - Awarded to individuals and organizations that have dedicated their time and support to Manchester athletics:
● Christopher Silver: 1985 MHS graduate, Director of the Town of Manchester’s Department of Leisure, Family and Recreation
McCluskey Award - Awarded to individuals for exemplary individual achievement or support to the Manchester Road Race:
● Lance Morgan: Key supervisor for the Manchester Road Race (MRR) AMR Blood Drive.
Marcy MacDonald/Title IX Award - Awarded to those who contribute to women sports and the spirit of Title IX:
● Dennis Cumberbatch: Co-founder and organizer of Manchester’s Girls Town and Travel soccer league and teams.
2023 Team Award - Awarded to teams that have excelled in the sports arena:
● 1994-1996 MHS Girls X-Country Team - Coached by Stan Bebyn, honoring three years of running excellence in Connecticut and New England.
MANCHESTER SPORTS HALL OF FAME EXHIBIT TO OPEN IN NEW HOME AT LEISURELABS AT MAHONEY CENTER AS PART OF THIS YEARS BICENTENNIAL
The Manchester Sports Hall of Fame in partnership with the Town of Manchester Bicentennial group will unveil its new exhibit on Wednesday, September 20th from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at its new home at the Leisure Labs at Mahoney Center, 110 Cedar Street.
This multi-floor exhibit highlights the first 42 years of Manchester Sports Hall of Fame inductees. Commemorated with display panels, the exhibit spans two floors of the recently revamped Leisure Labs at Mahoney Center, officially signifying the move from its original home at the Old Manchester Museum at 126 Cedar Street.
The exhibit’s new location will allow for increased access by the public and allow for the continued expansion of recognized athletes. The exhibit aims to recognize the history and accomplishments of the diverse slate of athletes from the Town of Manchester and to inspire all those who visit to achieve excellence, both inside and outside of athletic competition. Please plan to attend this exhibit opening. Food and refreshments will be provided by Highland Park Market. There is no fee to attend.