Rules and Procedures
The following Rules and Procedures for the Cemetery Division of the Town of Manchester, Connecticut have been adopted by the Board of Directors on October 8, 1996 and June 5, 2018, effective July 1, 2018. These Rules and Regulations apply to all cemetery facilities owned and operated by the Town of Manchester, Connecticut.
1. Arrangements for an interment must be made with the Cemetery Division twenty-four (24) hours in advance of the scheduled interment. The Funeral Director must supply all of the necessary information including the lot number, section and division; the name of the lot owner; the location of the grave within the lot; and, if the person to be interred is other than the lot owner, the name of the person giving permission for the interment to take place and that person's relationship to the lot owner.
2a. Sunday and holiday interments are not permitted except for emergencies or religious and then only with the approval of the General Manager or his designee.
2b. Saturday interments should be made through the Cemetery Office no later than 10:00 a.m. on the Friday preceding the interment. If Friday is a holiday, notice must be given by 1:00 p.m. the preceding work day.
3. Arrangements for Monday interments can be made by leaving the necessary information with the Manchester Police Department over the weekend. Monday interments should not be scheduled to arrive at the cemetery prior to 11:00 a.m.
4. Monday through Friday interments must arrive at the cemetery no later than 2:00 p.m.
5. Saturday, Sunday or holiday interments must arrive at the cemetery no later than 12:00 p.m.
6. Interments may be postponed at the discretion of the General Manager due to snow, ice, or other weather related emergencies.
7. The Town of Manchester assumes no responsibility for locations of interments given over the telephone, unless a representative of the deceased confirms the designated site in writing or by fax to the Cemetery Office prior to the opening of the grave. If the remains must be moved to a new location through no fault of the Town, the normal disinterment and reinterment charges will apply.
8. All earth burials must be enclosed in a suitable concrete container at the time of burial.
9. All interment charges will be payable to the Town prior to or at the time of burial and prior to any reimbursement of payments for lots.
10. Vault companies are responsible for the removal and replacement of all vaults. Arrangements for these services must be made through the Funeral Director and not the Town.
11. Arrangements for chapel tents and payment for same must be made through the Funeral Director who will contract with a vault company for the service. The Town does not offer this service.
12. The Town requires a permit or court order prior to removal of remains from any burial site. The scheduling of disinterments will be made at the convenience of the Cemetery Division.
Printable copy of the Rules and Procedures(PDF, 57KB)
Revised: July 1, 2018