Marriage License Information

two gold rings next to flowers

Certified copies of marriage or civil union licenses can be obtained for couples who had their ceremony in Manchester, or who lived in Manchester at the time of the ceremony from 1823 until present. Marriage certificates are open records and can be requested by anyone. For marriages or civil unions that occurred on or after July 1, 1997, certified copies of licenses showing social security numbers will only be issued to the parties named on the certificate. All other certified copies will have the SSN redacted. 

If you are looking for the records of someone who was married out of town, but within the State of Connecticut, you may call the State Customer Service Office at (860) 509-7700. If you are looking for information on how to obtain Vital Records from other states, please refer to the link for the National Center for Health Statistics.

Town of Manchester Justices of the Peace - Contact ListingJustices-of-the-Peace-11.20.2023.pdf(PDF, 260KB)

Already Married: Online Request for Marriage cert

Step 1.Submit

  • The application, payment and current ID will be completed through the VitalChek link below

Step 2.Fee

  • $20.00 per certified copy
  • An additional $7.00 fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa.
  • Expedited shipping by UPS is available for an additional fee

Step 3.Town Selection

  • During the Vitalchek application process online, under "select a marriage certificate" section, make sure the order is being submitted to the Town of Manchester and NOT to Connecticut Dept. of Public Health.

Step 4.Identity Verification Form & ID

  • The signed Identity Verification form and current ID can be emailed or faxed if there is a problem with uploading the forms into VitalChek.

Step 5.Completion of request

  • Request is processed within in a day or two of receiving it.
  • Certified copy will be mailed or given in person if all requirements are met. 


Already Married: By Mail/ In Person Request for Marriage cert

Drop Box located in back of Town Hall near handicap entrance

Step 1.By mail/drop box: INCLUDE

  • Complete application form below
  • Copy of current State ID or passport
  • $20.00 per certified copy. Bank check or Money Order made payable to Manchester's Office of The Town Clerk or pay by credit card slip(PDF, 486KB).
  • Self-addressed stamped envelope

Step 2.In person

  • Complete application form below
  • Show current State ID or passport
  • $20.00 per certified copy. Check made payable to Manchester's Office of The Town Clerk or credit card.

Step 3.Completion of request

  • Request is processed within in a day or two of receiving it.
  • Certified copy will be mailed or given in person if all requirements are met.  

Getting Married: Applying for a Marriage License

Step 1.Marriage must take place in Manchester

Step 3.Complete Application

  • Compete the Marriage License Application for it to be submitted to the Office of The Town Clerk. 
  • Before completing the application, verify at the bottom of the application screen that the security code box (captcha) is available. If it is black, reload the page and proceed to complete and submit the form.
  • Marriage License Application

Step 4.Schedule an Appointment

Call 860-647-3037 to schedule an appointment date. Appointments are available Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am - 11:30am and 3pm - 4:30pm, Tuesdays-Thursdays from 3pm - 4:30pm. Make sure to have the following information prepared. 

Step 5.Bring to the appointment

  • Both applicants must appear for appointment
  • Show current State ID/passport
  • Fee for license is $50.00. An extra $20.00 to order a certified copy to be mailed after the license has been returned by the officiator. Pay by cash, check or credit card.
  • Plan on spending about 10-15 minutes in the Office of The Town Clerk. 

Officiators returning completed marriage license:

  1. Return by mail in envelope provided by Town Clerk’s office.
  2. Place in envelope (do not fold record) and use the drop box only during office hours at Town Hall. Please call when license is left in the drop box.
  3. Drop off in person to office.


All corrections please call 860-647-3037 or e-mail The documentation required to make the change will be determined at that time. 

Civil Union Conversion:

Civil Union Conversion to Marriage Information(PDF, 184KB)

Customer Survey:

We would love your feedback! Please complete the quick 4 question survey by clicking the link.


Car with a Just Married sign on the back