Motor Vehicle Assessments, Adjustments and Appeals

MOTOR VEHICLE TAX BILLS.  Motor vehicle tax bills for the Regular Grand List will be mailed in June.  Motor vehicle tax bills will be due by August 1st.  Supplemental motor vehicle tax bills will be mailed in Late December.  If you have not received your motor vehicle tax bill from Manchester by late June, and you believe you should have received one, or if you have yet to pay your motor vehicle tax bill, please check Manchester's online tax bill system at this link:

Or please call the Town of Manchester Office of Assessment & Collection at 860-647-3018, or e-mail the Office of Assessment & Collection at

If your vehicle, or it was sold, stolen, registered out-of-state after you moved, totaled in an accident, or otherwise disposed of, the Town of Manchester will need information about that vehicle from you.  The CT DMV, out-of-state DMV's, insurance agencies, dealerships, and other third parties do not provide that information to municipalities.  We have to rely on the taxpayer to provide it to us.  Since taxes are billed many months after the assesment date (The assessment date is October 1st each year, and the tax bills are not sent until the following June, or maybe even the following December), your tax obligations do not end the day you dispose of sell your vehicle.   The Town of Manchester has more information on the motor vehicle tax process and on the forms of documentation we can accept to adjust a motor vehicle tax bill in our brochure at this link:



There is a statutory deadline for you to present the documentation needed to adjust a tax bill, as noted in the brochure at the above link.  We strongly recommend that you turn in all the necessary paperwork as soon as you dispose of your vehicle. 


  • Motor vehicle assessments are determined annually at 70% of average retail value using N.A.D.A. Vehicle Pricing Guides, in accordance with Connecticut State Statute 12-71d.
  • Motor vehicles registered to Manchester as of October 1 of each year are taxed the following July. Vehicles registered between October 2 and July 31 are taxed on the "supplemental list" in January.
  • Registered motor vehicles that are over 20 model years old may be eligible for a reduced assessment based on certain criteria.  Please call 860-647-3011 if you feel your vehicle may qualify.


  • Motor vehicle assessments billed in July may be appealed at the September meeting of the Board of Assessment Appeals.
  • Motor vehicle assessments billed on the "supplemental list" in January may be appealed at the March meeting of the Board of Assessment Appeals. Application must be made by February 20.
  • Motor Vehicle assessment appeal forms may be downloaded from the Board of Assessment Appeals page or are available from the Assessor's Office at (860) 647-3016.
The Department of Motor Vehicles does not notify Connecticut Assessors when a motor vehicle is disposed of!
  • If your vehicle was sold, traded, donated, junked, totaled, stolen, or otherwise disposed of, or if you registered the vehicle out-of-state, you may be entitled to a prorated credit or refund of all or part of your tax bill!
  • If the registration plates were transferred to a replacement vehicle, the credit will automatically be applied to the Supplemental Tax Bill for the replacement vehicle the following January.
  • If the registration was NOT transferred, two forms of documentation are required in order to prorate the tax bill:
    • Cancelled plate receipt from Connecticut DMV
      one of the following:
    • Bill of sale signed by both parties
    • Junk dealer receipt
    • Donation receipt
    • Dated registration from another state
    • Statement from insurer with date of and reason for cancellation
    • Other documentation such as a police report, repossession statement or title transfer
  • Further details about Motor Vehicle Taxes are available in the REQUIRED PROOFS FOR ADJUSTMENTS OF MOTOR VEHICLE TAX BILLS brochure enclosed with all motor vehicle tax bills, available online on the Miscellaneous Forms and Documents page and from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.